Thursday 3 April 2014

C is for: Caged Courage

A tiny bird flaps chaotically inside her tiny cold cage,
just as my heart slams longingly against its own make shift prison bars.
Like lifeless callus guards sculpted from bone, with every breath creating false hope of escape.
The heart would run away with the mind if only it were free to roam;
but as it is, its held in place excluded and alone.
Words float away from my heart and become stuck in my throat, lingering with discomfort, nestling into a new home.
Never recognised or heard.
It feels as though there are millions of bees swarming inside my head, tangling reason in its wake.
I never said I was courageous, in fact it is true I am a coward,
Comfortable and lost in my own defeated tower.
Like Alice falling bewildered down the rabbit hole of life, curiouser and curiouser in a psychedelic flight.
Thought is only in her mind or maybe that's just what we believe, her courage isn't caged like mine so longs to be.

1 comment: