Tuesday 4 February 2014

Watching as You Go

I am standing on a beach with my eyes open wide and I am looking at the sand; there is nothing. So I decide to build a person out of sand. The only problem is that this person cannot move. I fall in love with it and try to protect it. But one day it is swept away by the tide. I am devastated because the one thing I loved and held dear is gone. It is my tragedy. I open my eyes once more and look out at the ocean. I see my sand person floating away. He can finally move and he waves goodbye. But I choose to never remember seeing him smile, because it is my tragedy and I am much to busy looking at the sand where his footprints now forever stay, where his feet use to lye, and where my heart made its home. Death is not the tragedy. It is the stories we tell ourselves after what we chased and tried so hard to preserve is gone. I'd rather be the movement and the freedom then the footprints in the sand.

My grandmother has been a very special person in my life and has taught me so much about life. Unfortunately her time is coming to an end with a battle against cancer with no treatment; and although it makes me sad, I will be happy that she will be free. This piece is a tribute to my grandma.. the strongest women I have ever known. 

No comments:

Post a Comment